Reports To: Assigned Attorneys and Executive Director
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Summary: Under general direction, the Paralegal should have the ability to proficiently and effectively assist attorneys in all facets of homeowner association assessment collection, up to and including small claims and superior court litigation through conclusion. Must have excellent project management skills and heavy multi-tasking skills while meeting or exceeding internal satisfaction goals. Must be a self-starter with proven efficacy as a problem solver. Excellent interpersonal skills and the highest degree of professionalism is a must. Outstanding software literacy is critical. Must have excellent oral and written communication skills. Must have superior internal and external client service skills.
Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
• Working knowledge of San Diego Small Claims and Superior Courts.
• Working knowledge of drafting and filing of documents with the United States Bankruptcy Court helpful.
• Working knowledge of real property nonjudicial lien and foreclosure process.
• Working knowledge of online resources such as Pacer, state court dockets, search engines, social media, Lexis/Nexis, Edgar, etc.
• Working knowledge of wage garnishments, default judgments, post judgment accounting and enforcement preferred.
• California and Federal Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) experience preferred.
• Organization and management of data and evidence.
• Draft correspondence and pleadings.
• Researching, analyzing, and summarizing rules of procedure, evidence, statutes, regulations, and occasionally case law.
• Facilitating court filings.
• Accurately tracking and recording time spent on tasks and projects.
• Able to take initiative and anticipate what tasks need to be completed.
• Ability to understand and execute specific, detailed instructions.
• Assist with case management.
• Proficient in Skip Tracing and title searches.
• Maintain a regular presence and regular working business hours at the office.
• Meet or exceed the minimum client billing requirement set by the Firm.
• Satisfy required Mandatory Continuing Legal Education (MCLE).
• May travel by car, rail and plane for case-related and business-development matters.
• Work with computer programs including but not limited to Excel, Word, Outlook and PracticeMaster.
Knowledge & Skills:
• Strong initiative and problem-solving skills.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills a must.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Ability to interface with all levels of management and staff.
• Willingness to work a flexible schedule, including occasional overtime as required.
• Must have outstanding technology aptitude and literacy, including but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Pro and time tracking software.
• Must be able to organize and prioritize numerous tasks; follow directions and instructions; work independently or in a team, as needed; pay close attention to detail and provide work that is consistently error free.
• Ability to adapt to changing priorities and remain flexible under pressure to meet client and attorney needs with a positive attitude and composure.
• Proof of eligibility to work in the United States
Education, Licensure and/or Experience:
• Minimum 3 years’ experience as a litigation paralegal is absolutely required.
• ABA Approved Paralegal Certificate required.
• Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
Physical Job Requirements:
Position is primarily in an office environment.
Lifting 5-10 pounds may be required on occasion. They are required to move, travel to various locations (via car, train and airplane), speak audibly and appear in court. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for long periods of time, stand for long periods of time, walk, use their hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone keypad or to write, as well as talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to focus.
Interested candidates should submit their cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.