- This event has passed.
August Membership Meeting
August 17 @ 11:45 am - 1:15 pm
The Bystander Challenge, Part 2
Presented by: The National Conflict Resolution Center
This is the second session of a two session series. If you missed the first session, RSVP and indicate that you were unable to attend the first session.
The Bystander Challenge examines a bystander’s role in decreasing inappropriate communication and behavior in the workplace. Colleagues in a work environment often hear comments and witness behaviors that can escalate to the point of individuals feeling harassed by their coworkers.
Increasingly, bystanders are being asked to become “up-standers;” to stand up to perceived harassment issues. As many recognize, that is easier said than done. Many times, workplace dynamics make it challenging to know the correct course of action. Long-term working relationships, workplace culture, lack of diversity on a team, and discomfort with the topic can all get in the way of taking action. The Bystander Challenge will provide a framework that motivates learners to move from bystander to upstander.
By the end of the course, participants will have the ability to:
- Identify the reasons for inaction on the part of bystanders;
- Reflect on one’s own values and what might lead to taking action based upon those values;
- Evaluate situations to decide upon the best course of action;
- Consider the possible responses in the conversation with a coworker, and;
- Learn effective strategies to communicate concerns to individuals involved.
PART 1: Tuesday, July 20 (virtual)
PART 2: Tuesday, August 17 (in-person and virtual, DoubleTree Mission Valley)
11:45 am–12:00 – Log In
12:00-12:15 – Chapter Business
12:15-1:15 – Program
Non ALA Chapter Member Rate: $69
CLM Credits: The two part course is eligible for a total of 2 CLM credits (1 credit per session)
- CLM Application: Organizational Development
- CLM Functional Specialist: Human Resources
- Recertification: Human Resources Management
If you can only make one of the sessions, your RSVP and attendance at one session will secure you a recording for the second session.
Business Partner Meeting Sponsor